Your story is part of San Francisco’s early care and education narrative. Early care and education is being talked about nationally, at the state level, and in San Francisco. The most effective policy is driven by real experiences and need for change. Those who provide our children with care and education every day, who study and experience what infants, toddlers, young children and providers need, have important insights to share. That’s you!
Document your stories. Humans think in story. Details and impact on individuals with names and faces matter. The most memorable appeals to leaders and the community is your story woven into a broader picture. We need a wealth of stories to build an effective “narrative” and campaign for the change early care providers and children need. We need your stories. Create a place to collect your and your community’s stories as they happen–it can be papers in a file, a notebook, or an electronic file, whatever works for you–but take a moment to jot down those stories so they are ready!
Humans think in story. Details and impact on individuals with names and faces matter. The most memorable appeals to leaders and our community is your story woven into an ECE picture. We need a wealth of stories to build an effective “narrative” and campaign for the change early care providers and children need.
Let our community and elected leaders know about what we need to provide quality care and education and why our children, families, and community need it.
Share your story with us online, great if you have a picture too* or send them to firstname.lastname@example.org –we will help build a collective narrative of San Francisco’s ECE community of parents, teachers, and children–and let you know great times to write letters to the editor, engage in social media, or contact leaders. *photos transfer best when shared through our website upload, not email. Thanks!
Imagine your story on Twitter, Facebook, in a letter to the editor, or before a legislator! Even short and simple can be effective.
What Story Could You Share?
Anything you think important to tell the community and leaders about early care and education! Here are some ideas:
- What is a day in your life like? Let the SF community and leaders know what it’s like to be a provider of early care and education.
- What support do you need/ do you have that best help you provide quality care and education?
- What do you need to do to make it on an early educator wages and benefits? Studies show that almost half of all child care educators were enrolled in public assistance. Many work two or more jobs.
- Are you able to afford a home in San Francisco? How? What are your living conditions like? What is your commute like?
- What inspires you? What impact have you seen your and/or your colleagues’ work have on the children and families in your care?
- What is a day in your life like? Let the SF community and leaders know what it’s like to have a provider you know will be there for your child.
- Have teachers at your site had to leave? How did this impact you or your child?
- How have you, or have you not been able to access & afford the child care you want? What has it done for you/your child?